Monday 27 February 2012

Good/Bad things about being an internet tutor

Annonymity. Angry students don't matter, they have no way of exacting revenge.


Students have no way of knowing just how much I swear at them.


Putting on a facade of the "calm, happy-to-help tutor" is exceptionally easy, given the only communication we have is using the written word.

Similarly, students cannot feel my rage at their incompetence.

They also cannot feel my joy at their acheivements.

The nuaunces of the english language are, at times, difficult to convey without tone and expression.

The best part, is they cannot see me cry, if I'm having one of those days. Where every session teeters between regular emotions and extreme emotions. Where I feel ashamed at my inability to vocally keep my cool and just get on with it in silence. Where I feel like it's a failure on my part if they don't understand after several attempts at working through things. Where I inevitably just feel sad at every turn.


I can keep the blind open and have the sunshine stream in. Or close the blind when the sun is too hot.


I can tutor in whatever clothes I feel like wearing.

I can eat whenever I feel like.


If it's a particularly dead time, I can play the PS3. Gaming ftw!

No comments:

Post a Comment